The Non-Seattleite's Guide to Seattle Coffee
August 1, 2016
Yes, Seattle is the city of coffee; you heard it right. As a cloudy city and the birthplace of Starbucks, the combination of busy inhabitants and their Vitamin D deficiency evolved perfectly to form a city of coffee cravers.
Want to sample your own famous Seattle coffee? Here are a few top picks to choose from.
Walking into Starbucks Reserve Roastery feels like a regular Starbucks passed through Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory and plopped onto Capitol Hill. The bronze-filled venue, much larger than a regular café, is a coffee lover’s paradise. Visitors can watch machines roast beans or baristas brew coffee, sample rare types of coffee, or browse through all the gadgets and gizmos that the coffee connoisseur can desire. It’s not a bad place to pick up a Starbucks souvenir or two, either – the selection is huge.
Herkimer Coffee buys coffee from farms around the world that practice old-world farming methods, including spots in Africa, South America, Central America, and the Middle East. The farming region makes a difference, producing high quality coffee that coffee drinkers and wholesale buyers can appreciate. The café regularly features local artists’ work for sale that adds a homey vibe to each Herkimer location in Phinney Ridge, Ravenna, and Dexter.
Ask any Herkimer bartender about the flavor notes in each signature blend, and they will doubtless have something interesting to say. Keep your eyes open for Herkimer’s signature blue star and give this coffee shop a try.
This popular Capitol Hill spot started out of a desperate need for a local coffee spot. At the time of Victrola’s formation in 2000, the 15th Ave neighborhood was sorely lacking good coffee and a place to meet up with friends. Out of that need grew an iconic coffee company with its signature jazzy 1920’s style that neighborhood residents flocked to. Seven years after the original Victrola café was born, its most iconic café was built out of a 1920’s auto row building that features one-of-a-kind architecture and natural lighting. Customers can watch Victrola’s active roaster in this location, or simply enjoy a good cappuccino.
Every Wednesday at 11AM, Victrola’s Pike St location holds free coffee tastings led by a professional roaster.
Much like Herkimer Coffee, Caffe Ladro follows its coffee beans around the world to find the best flavors and works with local farmers to create fair working conditions. Its ethically-sourced coffee reached popularity all the way back to its start in 1994 from its original Upper Queen Anne location. Caffe Ladro also sells fresh, homemade pastries that are a step above your typical Starbucks croissant. Today, the café has 15 locations around Seattle and its outskirts including a roasting division on Queen Anne.
A visit to Seattle and the Greenlake Guest House is not complete without some great tasting, local coffee!
- Seattle Gardens
- Favorite Seattle Festivals-Early Summer
- Light Rail to Greenlake Guest House
- Day 25-Sugar Cookies
- Day 24-Chocolate Mint Cookies
- Day 23-Pecan Pie Bites
- Day 22-Nanaimo Bars
- Day 21-Chocolate Thumbprints with Caramel and Sea Salt
- Day 20-Rosemary Shortbread
- Day 19-Candy Cane Cookies
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 18 Rocky Road Bars
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 17 Lemon Bars
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies-Coconut Macaroons
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 15-Chocolate Lace Sandwich Cookies
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 14-Peppermint Shortbread
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 13-Danish Butter Cookies
- 25 Days of Christmas Day 12-Pecan Bars
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 11-Gingerbread
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 10-Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies-Day 9-Cherry Coconut Bars
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies-Day 8-Peppermint-Oreo Cookie Balls
- 25 Days of Christmas-Day 7-Salted German Chocolate Cookies
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies-Day 6
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies-Day 5
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies-Day 4
- Day 3 of 25 Days-White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- Day 2 of 25 Days-Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies
- Holiday Fun in Seattle
- Seattle Summer Festivals & Events
- Greenlake Guest House serves Washington Wines
- Improvements at the Greenlake Guest House
- Summer Concerts at the Ballard Locks
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
- Our new Keurig coffee maker
- Top Picks for the Holidays
- Seattle Restaurant Week