25 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 13-Danish Butter
December 13, 2015
Danish Salted Butter Cookies
Thank you to my friend Linda who forwarded this delightful recipe from the December 2015 issue of Bon Appetit. They make a very pretty, buttery cookie. We chose to make them in a star shape since we did not have a fluted cookie cutter as called for in the original recipe. Bon Appetit recommends using chilled butter and freezing the cookies before baking to encourage clean, tidy edges.
1 cup (2 sticks) chilled salted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 large eggs
2 cups flour, plus more
1 cup white sanding sugar (we used sugar in the raw for the sprinkling since that's what we had)
Combine butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl; scrape vanilla seeds and discard pod. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat until very ligh and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in 1 egg. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in 2 cups flour. Form dough into a 3/4 inch thick disk. Wrap in plastic and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
Place racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 350F. Let disk of dough sit at room temperature until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Roll out on a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper, shifting often on sheet and dusting with more flour as needed to keep from sticking, until about 1/4 inch thick.
Cut with cookie cutter and transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets. Chll 15 minutes.
Beat remaining egg in a small bowl with 1 tsp. water; brush cookies with egg wash; sprinkle with sanding sugar. Freeze 10 minutes. Bake, rotating baking sheets halfway through, until edges are golden brown, 10-15 minutes. Transfer to wire racks, let cool. Repeat with scraps and remaining egg wash and sugar.
Do Ahead: Dough can be made 1 month ahead;freeze. Cookies can be baked 2 days ahead; store in airtight container at room temperature.
- Guide To SeattleCoffee
- Seattle Gardens
- Favorite Seattle Festivals-Early Summer
- Light Rail to Greenlake Guest House
- Day 25-Sugar Cookies
- Day 24-Chocolate Mint Cookies
- Day 23-Pecan Pie Bites
- Day 22-Nanaimo Bars
- Day 21-Chocolate Thumbprints with Caramel and Sea Salt
- Day 20-Rosemary Shortbread
- Day 19-Candy Cane Cookies
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 18 Rocky Road Bars
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 17 Lemon Bars
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies-Coconut Macaroons
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 15-Chocolate Lace Sandwich Cookies
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 14-Peppermint Shortbread
- 25 Days of Christmas Day 12-Pecan Bars
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 11-Gingerbread
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies Day 10-Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies-Day 9-Cherry Coconut Bars
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies-Day 8-Peppermint-Oreo Cookie Balls
- 25 Days of Christmas-Day 7-Salted German Chocolate Cookies
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies-Day 6
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies-Day 5
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies-Day 4
- Day 3 of 25 Days-White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- Day 2 of 25 Days-Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 25 Days of Christmas Cookies
- Holiday Fun in Seattle
- Seattle Summer Festivals & Events
- Greenlake Guest House serves Washington Wines
- Improvements at the Greenlake Guest House
- Summer Concerts at the Ballard Locks
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
- Our new Keurig coffee maker
- Top Picks for the Holidays
- Seattle Restaurant Week